Monday, November 02, 2009

Coupon Myths

I've heard a lot of reasons why people don't want to get into coupons. And, frankly, it doesn't bother me that people don't want to do it. More stuff for me. Okay, that sounds selfish, but frankly you can't force people to save money.

But, if you're seriously thinking about it and have some of these doubts, I'd like to ease your mind.

  •  I can get better deals at Costco/Sam's Club. I have a small family (me, my husband, and a foot-long fetus). Buying in bulk just doesn't work for me. First, we don't have room, and second, it would go bad before we can eat it all. But, if you have a big family, I would recommend using coupons and the warehouse stores. And, I get some of my groceries for free. Last I checked, Sam's doesn't do free...
  • I don't have time. I heard this saying from a coupon mom on TV once. "If you don't have time to save money, you haven't been poor enough." I agree. If you do it right, it doesn't take that much time to plan out a shopping trip.  I have tapped into other people's resources and use their knowledge to help me. I don't spend hours pouring over ads and coupons. I use ready-made lists and clip my coupons weekly. And, when I save over $100 on groceries, I know it's worth it.
  • Generic is cheaper/there aren't coupons for the groceries I want. It's true that it's hard to be fiercely brand loyal and use coupons. But, many of the coupons that come in the mail are for name brand things. And, there are healthy food coupons as well. Coupons for cheese, bread, frozen veggies, etc. And not just food! Deodorant, shampoo, soap, cleaning products, toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, wipes...
 Those are the myths that I've heard a lot of. Now, let me quickly explain my couponing philosophy.


I have to buy food and other products. I don't particularly like it, but we have to eat. Now, I can spend $200 a month on groceries for our family, or I can cut that number in half and have more money to spend on things I like buying. (Clothes, shoes, electronics, toys, etc.) And who doesn't want to save money on not fun stuff? I promise, using coupons and shopping sales is worth it. And you don't have to be weird to do it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment